+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Crazy

Exclamation Wall Crazy

Hello

I am in the process of redoing my bathroom for the 2nd time in a year.

I live in a 50 years old row home and the walls are plaster. The wall in the shower that joins the houses is made of cinderblock so before I could have the wall retiled my installer insisted that I put up durock, which I hired someone to do. The wall was very uneven and damaged due to removing the old tile. The durock was put up with masonry nails and liquid nail. Last night I noticed that the wall was loose around two of the nails and in the spot were the wall was most uneven the durock was not sticking. As I checked the walls I noticed that all the corners and seams were tight and most of the movement was at the bottom. My concern is that when the tile is put on the wall that the wall will fall under the pressure of the tile. Should I have the wall removed and put up using another method? Am I over reacting or will this wall be fine.
    Going crazy in Baltimore

Default Re: Wall Crazy

Personally I'd never attach the CBU (cement boards)that way against a block wall. I'd isolate the CBU from the block by nailing and gluing (with tubes of PL Premium) furring strips of 1x4 to the block and then staple felt paper (vapor barrior) to the furring...THEN screw my CBU's to that.

One other thing...personally I'd never use a tile guy that wasn't willing to put the substrate up themselves and be accountable for the entire job. To me the substrate is part of the job. I think you're asking for trouble having two seperate people do these jobs. Installing CBU's in this case Durorock and tiling is one job and if your tile person says he doesn't do that than I'd find someone that will.
    Last edited by andybuildz; 09-07-2007 at 07:33 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Ditto what Andy said.

"Should I have the wall removed and put up using another method?"

I sure would. If it's loose already.....adding tile on top won't make it secure. There's little sense in saddling a lame horse.

Thumbs up Re: Wall Crazy

Thank you,

The reason that I had two contractor is because I went throught Home Depot and they subcontracted the work out to it's tile people. I have another contractor comming over today, How much should something like this cost, you know to do it the way you recommend?

The reason that I had two contractor is because I went throught Home Depot and they subcontracted the work out to it's tile people. I have another contractor comming over today, How much should something like this cost, you know to do it the way you recommend?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say in your specific area (you never filled in your profile not that would tell me 100% but it might help)...all areas vary a fair amount.
    I'm on the **** Coast of Long Island so you probably don't wanna ask ME...LOL.
    I'd say its a days work +- to rip the walls apart..fir out the existing stud walls ..add felt paper then Durocrck or Wonderboard and fiberglass tape and one coat of thinset on the seams...***BE SURE THE THINSET ON THE SEAMS IS REALLY SMOOTH AND FLAT!!****
    Probably about $600 but who knows in your area. I'd probably charge around $800 for all the materials and hauling away the debris and leaving it in pristine condition for the tile guys.
    I STILL think the tile guys should do it no matter if they're subbed out or not. Its something that should be done as one job for sure. No one for the tile guys to blame for any F ups.
    Just curious...whatcha payin' HD and is it for a pretty straight forward tile setting job?
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Good Morning,

I live in Baltimore, Maryland

HomeDepot charged 1,200 for the floor, walls and shower surround the walls and shower were about 134sqft. not sure about the floor but it took 40 12*12 tiles.

The contractor that came yesterday said about 800.00 to redue the wall. I thought that was too much, but I guess not

[QUOTE=sweetmama;3001]Good Morning,

I live in Baltimore, Maryland

HomeDepot charged 1,200 for the floor, walls and shower surround the walls and shower were about 134sqft. not sure about the floor but it took 40 12*12 tiles.

The contractor that came yesterday said about 800.00 to redue the wall. I thought that was too much, but I guess not
    Guess I was right on the money...so to speak...sorry
    I'll give ya fifty bucks off for cash
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I guess that would work if I lived in your state

Thanks I am going to shop around

Homedepot was your contractor, they sold you the material and the installation, they provided the installers. I would first contact them and demand it be corrected or you will file a complaint against them. If they refuse, contact your local TV station, most have a "4 On Your Side" or "Team 6" or some other trouble shooting team, and ask for their help. There is no reason you should have to pay to re-do a job improperly done and it would cost Home depot less to correct the problem than the cost of the unfavorable publicity.
    At lest you'll find out what this means.
    Jack.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The Home Depots around here are very good at backing up their contractors' work. My son did a lot of kitchens for Home Depot. He didn't get paid until the customer signed off on the job. If a problem arose later, he was required to correct the problem, or risk losing his account with the store. Occasionaly another contractor either wouldn't or couldn't satisfy a customer. Home Depot would (at their own expense) send my son to try to correct the problems and satisfy the customer.

Follow Jack's advice. Contact the store. I'd be surprised if they don't at least try to satisfy you.
    HTH

Dave