+ Reply to Thread

Default Gray ceiling issues

I want to put seasoned/gray ship lap or tongue and groove on my ceiling but can't seem to find any. There is plenty of gray pine boards though. Could I use those and then caulk the gaps from the attic so the new insulation fibers don't go through?

Thanks

Default Re: Gray ceiling issues

Install 1/2" drywall first (tape the seams too), then the wood ceiling over that. This is SOP even with T&G cause even T&G does not make an air barrier. Drywall is cheap, heating fuel and AC electrical costs are not.

You could also consider using ridgid foam board with taped seams in place of the drywall for extra R-value.

FWIW, your proposed caulk also won't likely hold up to the dimensional movement of the wood as the relative humidity changes from season to season. Depends upon the width of the boards, the choice of caulk, etc......but in any event, you'll still be way farther ahead over the long haul to install the sheet goods before the wood ceiling boards.

Don't know what you have at hand for machinery/tools........but you can make shiplap edges pretty easily with just a router and a rabbeting bit.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 02-03-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Ditto what ****ie said. Without the drywall first, you won't have a sealed environment, which will allow insulation fibers to infiltrate the living space. With the drywall installed, you'll also see less humidity and temperature related expansion and contraction of the T&G, resulting in less noticeable joints between the boards.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That was great advice! Thanks! I am thinking I will have to paint the sheet rock gray so if there is any movement in the boards it won't show as much....