+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Bad information given relating to speaker ohms

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    check ( we say cheque )
    Is that pronounced checkKay, checkWee, checkQue, or checkEe?

For everything else, there's Visa!

Talking Re: Bad information given relating to speaker ohms

"canukThanks djohns.... check ( we say cheque )is in the mail.

I thought those brain cells were dead but once I accessed them it was hard to shut them down."
    Must have just thawed out, huh.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Is that pronounced checkKay, checkWee, checkQue, or checkEe?
    My bad
    For clarification : spelled cheque pronounced the same as check ... it's the French influence up here ... eh!
    Darn brain cells.

Geeze I hope djohns doesn't want payement by Visa can't afford 78% interest.

Must have just thawed out, huh.
    Jack
    Is that the same as freeze brain ??

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    My bad
    For clarification : spelled cheque pronounced the same as check ... it's the French influence up here ... eh!
    Canuk, I was giving you what's known within the industry as poop!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Canuk, I was giving you what's known within the industry as poop!
    Ya ... I kinda fiqured that ( been around the block myself )

but for the millions of other viewers it deservred the explaination

Dang!

I learned something today!

canuk is a techy! I have had the same discussion around here with electricians, and a lot do not even know what Ohm's law is, let alone how it applys and when. Speakers, network connections, video equipment and other such stuff operates with AC and not DC. Ohm's law works for DC circuits, AC circuits have a DC component, but the impedance, inductance, capacitance and other parameters are covered by a whole series of other equations. Using an ohm meter to check connections for speakers, network cables or video equipment only tells you that at least one strand of wire is making a connection, but the circuit may not work or may only work for low frequencies and fail at higher ones. I've seen too many electricians install CAT-5 cable by splicing it together and using wire nuts for the splices and saying they did a good job by using a light to show connections. Just my 2 cents worth! OBTW, I'm not insulting electricians, just pointing out a difference in the training and fields.

meinsc .... is that a compliment or not ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Let me see if I can oversimplify this discussion . Imagine two wires . One is the " hot wire " and the other is grounded . Now place a resistor of a HIGH ohmic value between them . Not much current flow due to the HIGH resistance , right ? Now LOWER the resistance down to virtually nothing . What happens ? Maximum current flow , up to the limits of the source . ( or until the fuse blows )

Which scenario required the strongest source , the high resistance , or the low resistance ?

NOW, to further complicate the discussion , what is the output impedance of the amplifier ?
    Probably 8 ohms . There is a reason that amps have an impedance rating . It's got to do with "matching " . An amp with an impedance of 8 ohms , connected to a speaker rated at 8 ohms will be matched and operate at it's designed efficiency . Connect a 4 ohmn speaker to it and it will have to work harder .
    To add the the above response. You need to match the impedance of the amplifier output or you will have destortion. Or some cases the speaker will not work at all.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by meinsc View Post
    canuk is a techy! I have had the same discussion around here with electricians, and a lot do not even know what Ohm's law is, let alone how it applys and when. Speakers, network connections, video equipment and other such stuff operates with AC and not DC. Ohm's law works for DC circuits, AC circuits have a DC component, but the impedance, inductance, capacitance and other parameters are covered by a whole series of other equations. Using an ohm meter to check connections for speakers, network cables or video equipment only tells you that at least one strand of wire is making a connection, but the circuit may not work or may only work for low frequencies and fail at higher ones. I've seen too many electricians install CAT-5 cable by splicing it together and using wire nuts for the splices and saying they did a good job by using a light to show connections. Just my 2 cents worth! OBTW, I'm not insulting electricians, just pointing out a difference in the training and fields.
    I tend to agree with the above statement I was a electrician for 5 years and returned to school for electronics degree. IT was very hard to grasp DC therory in electronics. Impedance, inductive reatance, and capacitive reactance. and how it reacted with frequency....Now my head is spinning but I made it
    Harry