+ Reply to Thread

Question Planer, corded or cordless

My boyfriend has an old boat, his grandfathers, in the basement and he'd love to refinish it so I was thinking of getting him a planer for Valentine's Day. I have no clue about power tools but he'a Craftsman man, almost every tool he owns is a Craftsman. I found 2 planers on the Sears website, Craftsman 3-1/4 in. Power Planer and Craftsman C3 19.2 volt Cordless Planer, it's all gibberish to me ....which planer would be more useful?

Default Re: Planer, corded or cordless

Go with the corded unit, it will be of far more value. Spinning 3-1/4" knives takes a lot of torque and power, something that batteries just can't muster,certainly not for very long, making a cordless unit more difficult to work with, particularly if you have much work to do. Another problem is that it's a 19.2 volt unit. Unless your boyfriend has other 19.2v equipment, that means another charger and more batteries he's got to have on hand to use it. Being that this is a planer, it isn't likely to see much regular use, again putting a negative check mark towards a cordless tool.

If you were talking about cordless drills and circular saws then I'd scream "go cordless" all day long, but with a tool that won't see a great amount of use, probably has a unique size battery and charger compared to other equipment he already has, and most definitely a short duration of use per charge, a cordless planer just isn't the way to go IMHO.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Talking Re: Planer, corded or cordless

Thank You!!!! Corded it is.....

Default Re: Planer, corded or cordless

You're welcome.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!