+ Reply to Thread

Default Maintaining Oak Trim

Our 90 year old bungalow has beautiful varnished oak trim downstairs and pine trim upstairs. A picture of our dining room is attached. It all seems very dry and we are novices when it comes to maintaining it. What would anyone recommend as standard maintenance process for our trim? GT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR-Comp.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	2077  

Default Re: Maintaining Oak Trim

If the wood is in good shape, you can use a good wood polish periodically and you should be fine. Even the spray on stuff is OK. It'll help you get the dust off and leave a nice finish that will have a nice patina over time. If you want to refinish it, a light sanding with 150 or 220 sandpaper before putting on the new finish will take care of you. Make sure you dust it well before putting on the finish. I just use a damp sponge with water and dry it all off with a clean towel. Let it sit overnight if you can to make sure it's really dry.

Regarding the finish, they make a gel varnish that's easy to apply. Especially on vertical surfaces, you won't have to worry about runs and sags in the varnish. Just use a rag and wipe it on. Goes on easy, not messy, and looks pretty good. I've done a couple of pieces of furniture with it and they came out fine. My wife did our kitchen cupboards with it too.

Good Luck.