+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing duct work for a range vent

We currently have no duct for venting over the stove. We'd like to install a range hood vented to the outside as the smoke and heat produced during cooking smells and warms up the whole house. Our stove is next to an exterior well, but sadly there's a stud almost exactly down the center. Appliance installers don't want to tackle the job and I'm not sure who to hire or how to do it myself. Is it possible to route the duct work around the stud (maybe up through the cabinet then around the stud)?

Also would a range hood provide better ventilation than a microwave? Should we just vent the microwave we have or will a dedicated range hood make a big difference?

Thanks for any help or advice with this.
    -Doug

Default Re: Installing duct work for a range vent

as for a standard vent hood vs a microwave with a vent built in, it all depends on how many cubic feet of air each one moves. the microwave vent might be ample enough for what you need. i assume that there is a standard 30" cabinet over the microwave that it's attached to. just drill your hole to the exterior through the back of the cabinet over the stove next to the stud. no one will see that it's not centered unless they're opening the cabinet up and so what if it isn't centered within the cabinet, not a big deal. if you want to bring the vent up through the top of the cabinet, drill the hole right next to he stud and box it out above the cabinet and make the box larger so that the box is centered above the cabinet and the duct work is off centered within the box.

If I understand you correctly your are saying I can make a box centered in the cabinet and a round duct connected to the box off center to avoid the stud. Are there prefabricated ducts like this I can get or do I need to cut the sheet metal and contect the duct to the box? If so how do I go about doing this? What tools would I need, etc.?

i was talking about using the box to cover the duct work if you extend the duct work above the cabinet above the stove. look at the pic i attached, this pic was taked before we boxed the vent duct in, you can see it going into the ceiling above the stove. what i'm talking about is putting it up through the cabinet like the picture but off center from the middle of the stove and making a box big enough to make it look like it's centered over the stove so that the duct float somewhere within the box. the other option i was talking about was going through the back wall of the cabinet and out the side of the house. we couldn't go through the wall because the stove wasn't on an exterior wall but you can since you're on an exterior wall. if this doesn't work for you, try to better describe the set up you have regarding the microwave/fan what's supporting it (a cabinet over the stove or not) and the location of the exterior wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d.jpg 
Views:	2602 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	2078  

Oh you meant through the ceiling. I meant through the wall. I'd rather not go through the ceiling (for cosmetic reasons) and especially not through the roof (don't want to risk introducing leaks or making this too complicated.

The stud in the wall is the one keeping us from going through the wall easily. I was thinking we could go up into the cabinet and then around the stud and out the wall, but the appliance installers say that's too complicated for them. I'd have to hire an HVAC contractor because it would require custom duct work.

-Doug

This talks about reframing things a bit if a studs in the way, but that seems like a lot of trouble. Seems like it would be easier to route the duct around the stud.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/arti...8403-3,00.html

Is there some reason why it's not advised to do this?

-Doug

if that's the case, then just go around the stud. you can use a flex vent depending on the size of vent pipe you need. the flex ones i believe go up to 4", if you need larger you can buy the size you need at home depot or lowes and cut it yourself, it's easy to do.