Thread: Foam Insulation

Question Foam Insulation

I recently got a quote to have my project insulated. It was more than $23,000.00 for 1" foam w/ R13 batting. I have since decided to do it myself. Any suggestions on how I should proceed and where I should look for the right foam to use for the job? I live in Wisconsin, so proper insulation is very important. I am spending the bulk of my budget on radiant floors and other mechanicals.

Default Re: Foam Insulation

I highly doubt you'll find anyone to supply you with equipment and material to do any large scale foaming on your own.

There are kits available that you may be get ahold of .... Google ....****Seal 400.

These kits are fairly expensive and usually intended for small jobs.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Howdy, To do foam yourself will be quite challenging as the products sold seem to be for very small areas. Why use foam and fiberglass? I have read the cellulose web page and using blown in cellulose stops air infiltration where as fiberglass does not. You can rent a blower anywhere they cell the cellulose. And install it your self with. The cellulose association recommends no vapor barrier with it.
    Otherwise i would supper insulate with fiberglass. Before insulating i would use cans of spray foam to plug the electrical boxes wiring holes and install plastic to inside on walls with caulking along the top and bottom wall sill plates. If the walls not yet built i would use tyvek on exterior as it lets moisture out but not in and not wind in. I'd insulate the main floor with R22 walls R22 or more Attic R48. What are new homes in area using is a good heads up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, To do foam yourself will be quite challenging as the products sold seem to be for very small areas. Why use foam and fiberglass? I have read the cellulose web page and using blown in cellulose stops air infiltration where as fiberglass does not. You can rent a blower anywhere they cell the cellulose. And install it your self with. The cellulose association recommends no vapor barrier with it.
    Otherwise i would supper insulate with fiberglass. Before insulating i would use cans of spray foam to plug the electrical boxes wiring holes and install plastic to inside on walls with caulking along the top and bottom wall sill plates. If the walls not yet built i would use tyvek on exterior as it lets moisture out but not in and not wind in. I'd insulate the main floor with R22 walls R22 or more Attic R48. What are new homes in area using is a good heads up too.
    By applying a 1 inch layer of 2 lb, closed cell foam this not only creates an insulation layer of approx R 7.5 ... but more important is the foam is a sealed air barrier. It's a sealed air barrier that's critical with any insulation.
    Supplementing with a layer of fiberglass to increase the R value is a viable option.

However .... cellulose and 1/2 lb. open cell foam rely on their density to help prevent air movement but are far better than fiberglass in my opinion.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush