+ Reply to Thread

Default Decking with a door???

The house I purchased has a nice sized deck in the backyard. It was built directly over the crawl space entry; therefore, a trap door was built into the deck. The problem for me is that the trap door (for lack of a better term) is way too heavy for me to lift up because I must get under the house to change out the furnace and air conditioning filter.

I plan to eventually redo the decking with Trex boards, but I need a plan to build in an access to the crawl space, but one that not difficult to open and close.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Default Re: Decking with a door???

Depending on how high above the ground it is, you might be able to do as I did and make an entry in the skirting, makes for a long crawl though.

Not sure how you could do it or if it would help but maybe some sort of Hydraulic assist like on a hatchback car. The cylinders help to lift the heavy hatchback door maybe you could rig something up to help you.

You could make it 2 doors instead of one. Half the weight, but you have to lift twice.

Default Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Elayne View Post
    The house I purchased has a nice sized deck in the backyard. It was built directly over the crawl space entry; therefore, a trap door was built into the deck. The problem for me is that the trap door (for lack of a better term) is way too heavy for me to lift up because I must get under the house to change out the furnace and air conditioning filter.

I plan to eventually redo the decking with Trex boards, but I need a plan to build in an access to the crawl space, but one that not difficult to open and close.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Here is a good one for work at home programs and whitehat internet marketing tools ; bonus gift free website and money makers at: ChaseTheGlow . Com