+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wall texture

Default Wall texture

I live in a home built in 1908 and am having the bathrooms remodeled. Old lath and plaster walls covered with paneling are being removed and replaced with drywall. My contractor suggested a "knockdown" texture on the drywall, but I was thinking a smooth finish to "match" the remaining plaster wall. However, many of the walls are actually covered with wallpaper that has been painted over (someday I will get all of that down and back to the plaster).

My question is, should I do the knockdown texture or a smoother finish on the new drywall?

Thanks.

Default Re: Wall texture

Depends, do you like textured walls or smooth walls better? I personally like texture, it helps to hide imperfections and shadows AND if you're trying to stay somewhat true to the vintage of the house, then I'd match what was existing. In the end, it is a personal preference.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would agree with Spruce that staying with what is the norm in the house would probably be better. I don't mind texture except when I have to patch it and match the texture around it. I was raised in smooth wall country (Chicago) and find smooth wall much easier to patch. Texture won't hide a really bad drywall taping job. although I believe that is the main reason for its existance. Knockdown is a lot harder to patch than mere "orangepeel".

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Texture won't hide a really bad drywall taping job. although I believe that is the main reason for its existance. Knockdown is a lot harder to patch than mere "orangepeel".
    You're such an amateur ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!