+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil Furnace

Default Oil Furnace

I am purchasing a Weil McLein Ultra Oil American Ingenuity Ultra Result for my home. My question is regarding the vent. Should the vent be placed on the side of the house (straight pipe) or should the vent be placed thru the chimney. I have a white house and I am wondering if I will have any problems with stains from the oil. I heard that with a tankless oil burner the straight pipe should not be used on the side of the house. Please advise the best solution and also the pros and cons of each.

Default Re: Oil Furnace

I don't know the best solution in your particular case, but I agree you should pursue it before the install is done.

Since the Ultra is a condensing boiler (boiler, not a furnace), nearly all the combustion products are burned in the heating process, so there is less chance of soot or staining.

That said, I think you should call Weil Mclain's technical dept. (below) & be ready to give them the length of the chimney from the boiler to roof & the length of the side pipe to the side wall.

My preference has always first been to install a thru-the-chimney steel or aluminum coil (Z-flex kit) if the chimney height is not too great---this avoids any chance of staining, ice formation & fume odors but this can sometimes cause problems with condensation (water) building up on the inside of the coil & dribbling back to the boiler flue assembly.

Also call several different heating contractors in your area who install Weil-Mclain Ultras (Yellow Pages/ Heating Contractors) & get their feedback as to how this should be done.

At the Weil-Mclain site, click onto site map, then onto service info, then onto technical service contact.

Weil-Mclain technical services dept: 1-800-368-2492

http://www.weil-mclain.com
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-06-2009 at 12:26 AM.