+ Reply to Thread

Default water meter connection leak

Every winter the compression connectors on both sides of my house water meter leak. I've tightened them as much as possible but the few days of cold weather here in Texas seems to loosen up the connections. The cities side of the meter is in a access box with brass connectors and the other side is mostly covered in dirt on the outside of the meter access box with a brass converter to PVC connection. Any sugestions on preventing this from happening every winter.

Default Re: water meter connection leak

Most city water departments have ownership of the water service connection through the meter. If the leak is in the swivel nuts on the meter couplings, the gaskets may have lost their resiliency may need to be repalced, I would have the water department check the leak and possibly replace the gaskets. The water department should also be able to advise you as to any other local issues that may be having an effect on the meter connections.
    Slow The Flow

Thanks for the input...I contacted the city and they are going to come out to look at it however they (being the city public works dept) also told me they will only fix a leak on the cities side of the meter and I will be responsible for the other side. Go figure.

You may find out that they mean line leaks. I would think that because they own the meter it would be their responsibility to maintain the connection to it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Like jack said, the city should maintain the swivel nuts on both sides of the meter and after this connection it becomes homeowner responsibility. If this is not the case, ask the water department person for a new gasket for your side of the meter too.
    Slow The Flow