+ Reply to Thread

Default general question about water pressure in an apt building

I live in a large apartment building(15th floor), we pay electric (which includes a hot water heater). The water pressure in our apartment for both hot and cold fluctuates from slow flow to good pressure. It's rather predictable, turn it on, after 10-20 secs or so the pressure kicks up and then it can fluctuate from there. To me that says they have something in the building to increase the water pressure.

It does this for both cold AND hot. So that got me to thinking. If it does this for hot could it be my hot water is coming from some place other than my hot water heater. That also got me thinking about how a hot water heater gains pressure. Does it require a pump of some type after the point where the water exits the heater? Does the pressure come from the fact there is pressure going into the heater?

I suppose the way I could figure this out is to turn off my water heater and see if I still get hot water. But before I do that can anyone offer any insight in how hot water gains pressure when coming from a hot water tank?

Thanks

Default Re: general question about water pressure in an apt building

Because the incoming cold feeds your cold lines and the water heater if the incoming water pressure fluctuates so will the output of the water heater.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by stevebob View Post
    I live in a large apartment building(15th floor), we pay electric (which includes a hot water heater). The water pressure in our apartment for both hot and cold fluctuates from slow flow to good pressure. It's rather predictable, turn it on, after 10-20 secs or so the pressure kicks up and then it can fluctuate from there. To me that says they have something in the building to increase the water pressure.

It does this for both cold AND hot. So that got me to thinking. If it does this for hot could it be my hot water is coming from some place other than my hot water heater. That also got me thinking about how a hot water heater gains pressure. Does it require a pump of some type after the point where the water exits the heater? Does the pressure come from the fact there is pressure going into the heater?

I suppose the way I could figure this out is to turn off my water heater and see if I still get hot water. But before I do that can anyone offer any insight in how hot water gains pressure when coming from a hot water tank?

Thanks

The hot water leaving the tank is being replaced by cold water ( to be heated ). The hot water pressure is determined by the incoming cold water pressure.

If you have a hot water tank in your suite I doubt your hot water is coming from somewhere else -- otherwise why would you have a hot water tank?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

thanks guys, that's what I thought, I was just looking for confirmation. Regarding why I would think hot water may be coming from somewhere else is my experience in renting, some setups are jury rigged together, I've seen it happen before.