+ Reply to Thread

Default Circuit breaker tripping when light is turned off??

I am remodeling my bathroom and replaced an old light fixture that had the outlet in it with a new light without and outlet. So I added a new light switch and GFI outlet in the bathroom. The way I did it was I took the existing line (from previous light fixture) into the GFI outlet then to the light switch then the wire went from the switch to the light fixture. All the hot and neutral wires I double checked seem to be in the right places. Everything works great till the light it turned off. Then the circuit breaker is tripped. If the light is off and i try to reset the breaker it doesn't reset at all. Also i don't know if it is a clue into my problem but the light switch says on when the light is off and off when the light is on.

Default Re: Circuit breaker tripping when light is turned off??

You have the switch wired up across the hot and neutral and it shots the circuit when turned on.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I did the same thing when I wired up a new room in the basement. Took the time to actually read the handyman book and illistration and saw what I did wrong. Easy to fix.

If it were just the light and the switch in the circuit, then you could use a 2-wire cable (plus ground) and both wires would be hot, with one being constant and one being switched.

However, with your setup, the outlet is in the middle, which means that the span from the light to the outlet needs a 3-wire cable (plus ground). One would be always hot (to feed the outlet and continue on to the switch), one would be switched hot (returning from the switch to the light), and one would be neutral.

My guess is that you have set up the switch at the end of a 2-wire cable containing hot and neutral wires. The outlet jumps across the two wires (okay) and the switch also jumps across (not okay, short circuit). If the light jumps across the wires as well, then that explains why it is on when the switch says off. It would stay on even when you flip the switch except that the circuit breaker trips.
    Last edited by azbycx; 11-08-2010 at 04:43 PM.