+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting old sheet rock

Hi!

We are a few weeks into the rehab of the kitchen in our older home. Finally starting to paint. Last night I put a coat of Kilz (the water based kind?) over a couple of the walls in the kitchen. It seemed to take fine to the newly sheetrocked walls, but when I applied it to the older sheetrock...it bubbled up?

The sheetrock seemed to be bubbling up underneath the coat of Kilz. This a.m....when I looked at it the bubbling was gone, but some of the paint had peeled.

Do I need to use a different kind of primer on the older sheetrock?

Default Re: Painting old sheet rock

First,
    It is a little unclear to me if what you refer to as "the old drywall" was un-painted . Was this some unsealed existing drywall? Anyway, new drywall is usually sealed with a dedicated drywall primer. Existing paint is primed with a sealer primer. They are different animals. Drywall primer is made to seal the very porous paper coating on the surface of drywall. Wall primers are made to adhere to slick existing paint coatings as well as seal less then great existing coats of paint. You state that you have an older home. Are your existing kitchen walls painted with oil paint?(rub them with alcohol or Goof-Off to find out, both will soften latex paints but not oil).

I am not a big fan of KILZ II as it is a one size fits all product. If you stay with Kilz, try the Kilz Premium. It will give better adhesion and sealing on both bare dry wall and existing paint. Behr's Primer No.75 will also do a very good job
    of priming existing paint as well as new drywall. Also, in a kitchen where you will probably be using a higher sheen paint, the better primers will seal better, allowing the sheen to reach its maximum. One coat of semi-gloss over mere drywall primer will be uneven in sheen.

sorry! I'm new to all this home rehab and don't always explain it well. It's sheetrock that was put up years ago and doesn't have the same finish as the new drywall that we just put up. It looks like a paper finish? Which I'm guessing means unsealed.

I'm worried that when we get to putting an actual color on the wall...that that will cause the bubbling effect as well?

First,
    Marcus is giving you pretty good advice. Short of putting up new drywall, however, I would go over the entire old drywall with 100grit sandpaper and a putty knife in an effort to get any unbonded primer to pop loose. Rather than push the putty knife at the peeling edges, try bareing down on the knife and dragging it along. The pressure should aid in popping loose primer.
    After loosening the primer, patch the bare areas with Bin or oil Kilz and then patch with drywall compound. After sanding the patches, prime the entire wall with either Bin or oil Kilz. After priming, you may go back to an acrylic finish coat.

Thank you everyone!!! They actually never painted it....they put paneling over the sheetrock. We're putting wainscoting on the bottom portion of the walls....and just want to make sure that when we paint the upper portion....it won't bubble up and peel off.