+ Reply to Thread

Default Cold Hard Wood Floors

I live in a north Florida red brick home built in 1938 with hard wood floors and about a three foot crawl space underneath the house. Below the crawl space is just the ground, no basement. The floors of the home are very cold in the winter months and i would love it if i could insulate them some how without pulling up the floor. What are my options for getting my floors warmer or insulating the underside of my home? Thanks

Default Re: Cold Hard Wood Floors

there's not too many other options than getting yourself dirty and crawling around under your house. if you have a helper, they can cut the pieces and hand them in to you. ideally, you would want to used probably r19 batt insulation and after it's installed cover over all the bottom of the floor joists with foil faced rigid foam insulation. just leaving the batt insulation exposed will cause it to get damp or wet and become a haven for "critters" i believe that's the florida lingo for small animals and the like.

Thanks for the tip. What about a vapor barrier down over the ground under the house, would this do anything for the temperature of the floors above?

it wouldn't do anything regarding temperature but it definitely would help with moisture and would be a nice finishing touch to what i mentioned above.

In addition, if you REALLY want warm floors, they make electric in-floor heating pads, which staple between the floor joists inside your crawlspace. We recently installed some under our new bathroom tile and it is LOVELY!
    ________
    BUY HERBALAIRE
    Last edited by shanefish; 03-14-2011 at 01:21 AM.