+ Reply to Thread

Post Interior basement wall

I have a house that was built in the 40s that has a stone type foundation (at leats I have been told). Part of the basement has paint on it that seems to be bubbling off due to moisture. I want to clean it off and seal the wall to help prevent moisture build up so that I can eventually finish it. Any concerns that I need to worry about before proceeding? Thanks.

Default Re: Interior basement wall

Hey Jeff54,
    I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. What kind of stone is it? Is it man made, like cinderblocks, or natural, jagged stone? It sounds like you are heading in the right direction with sealing the wall. Make sure you seal any cracks you have with a flexible sealant before you paint over the wall. If there are any pipes or ducts running through the foundation those would need to be sealed around as well. The main concern with unsealed basements is radon. Radon is an odorless and harmful gas that comes from underground. I would get a test kit to see if that is an issue in your basement.
    What are you going to use to reseal the whole wall? Are you looking at paints? Epoxy sealers? Let me know. Good luck. -Gregg