+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cat5 and NID

Question Cat5 and NID

So, I have an old ranch that I just rewired and added cat5 cable, 3 lines. I have a super old "network interface" if you can call it that, in our garage. It just has 2 wires coming in, one to red and one to green. There are 2 sets of screws to hook up outgoing phone lines - 2 green and 2 red. So now I have 3 cat5 wires with their multiple wires and I'm looking at the box, and looking at the wires, and looking at the box and wondering "why did I let my electrician friend talk me into running this??"
    Can anyone give me straigh forward advice for hooking this up?
    Do I need to get some sort of new box?
    I'm selling this house, and I am not in contract with any provider, so I can't really call anyone to help me out, and my electrician friend is going through a divorce and is pretty xanaxed up... so not a good time to bother him with this.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Cat5 and NID

It sounds like you are talking about a telephone barrier box not a NID. They are usually set up for two incoming lines. You have one incoming line which is connected to one set of two red/green output screws. In that case you would use on set of wires in each Cat5 cable connected to the red/green screws and the other end connected to the telephone receptacles. As an example use the blue/ white blue pair from each cable and hook the blue to the red screw and the white-blue to the green screw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That's fine for one line, but what to I do with 3 cat5 wires each with their own pairs of blue/white wires, etc? Do I put 3 sets of blue/white wires under one screw, and 3 sets under the next and so forth?
    Thanks-

Take the blue wire from each cable and connect all three to one red screw, take the white wire from each of the three cables and connect all three to the one green screw. Use those same wire color on the other end to connect to the red and green terminal in the telephone receptacle.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    That's fine for one line, but what to I do with 3 cat5 wires each with their own pairs of blue/white wires, etc? Do I put 3 sets of blue/white wires under one screw, and 3 sets under the next and so forth?
    Thanks-
    yep -- 3 blue under one screw --- 3 blue/white under the second screw.
    Sounds like there are 3 cat5 cables for 3 different jacks in likely different rooms.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush