+ Reply to Thread

Default Stair baluster, spindles, railing, banister

We just purchased our project, a 1900 built 2 story Victorian? home. The staircase is typical of the period, open on one side. It is in desperate disrepair with an entire section missing. I have had no luck so far matching the spindles (is that even the right word?) on the internet or my local home store. I am assuming I either have to A.) tear out entire remaining section or B.) have the pieces manufactured by a local carpenter/manufacturer. Does anyone have any advice, experience with this sort of project? I have no idea even where to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Stair baluster, spindles, railing, banister

You are probably grandfathered in unless you do a complete stair replacement. If you only need a couple of matching spindles check for a locale turners club to see if they have a member interested in duplicating them. If you need several consider buying a fancier production spindle and place them every third position, that was a common practice at one time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Look in the phone book under "stair" or "staircase", you'll likely find a local company that specializes in staircase installations. They will be able to duplicate your existing railings with no problems.

As to the code issue raised by the resident "Googler of knowledge", it is unlikely that you'll have to bring the railings up to current code in the repair of your existing railings. Defer to your local professionals for information regarding code issues. More over, if you're doing an historic restoration, current code is less of an issue in residential architectural repair. Again, refer to the local jurisdictional authority over the alarms raised by less than professional opinion.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here's a picture of a Victorian staircase with a A-B-B configuration.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb