+ Reply to Thread

Default Rustic Old Farm Table

I just recently bought a new home. It's modern, but I have eclectic taste. I have a formal dining room that is 10' x 11.5'
    not so large. I was hoping to make it a really funky dining room, where not much matches. I want to purchase a dining table that is old and different and doesn't match my chairs at all. The table would seat 6. I have 3 wood chairs that are dark wood, kind of old world style. I also have 3 chairs that are skirted parsons chairs in a beautiful brown textured cloth. I found an old farm table today that is 75" long and 35" wide. It's made from old oak slats, and the table has never been stained or painted, and has been outside or in a barn for years. The table is in great shape, but there are stains on the table that look like either white paint or old bird poop. I love the thought of using the old table as my dining table, but right now, it's an old weathered gray. Not sure if I should paint it, stain it, leave it as is, or what exactly. And not sure how to get the stains off. Any ideas?

Default Re: Rustic Old Farm Table

I would probably sand it and varnish it to keep it sort of rustic, but clean. Maybe a stain if I wanted to change the color.

I'd like it have a deep red in it if possible. How would you paint it? It's a real rough surface especially since it's made with slats and not a solid surface. I don't want to take away from the rustic look and feel of it, so how could I paint it and keep it looking rustic and old. And are you saying sand it to get the bird poop stains off?

You might try wire brushing the bird poop stain off then stain it with a red you like and then varnish it to give you a clean surface.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb