+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How Do I Hang Picture Rail?

i can't tell you how many times i've done it that way and probably started 1/4" from a stud and gone the full 16" to hit the next one, it does get aggravating.

Here's an idea I just had: if the house has wood lath, just cut the plaster and remove the lath that will fall behind the picture rail. Then you'll be able to see exactly where all the studs are. Fill this in with a filler strip, then fasten up the chair rail.

While you're at it, take advantage of that gap to blow insulation into the exterior walls.

It might not work. I've never heard of anybody doing it that way. I've never heard anybody suggest it. Maybe there's a reason. You might end up with a mess.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Interesting idea, would have been nice to put some insulation in there....my walls are ice cold! Nonetheless, it's ALL DONE!

I'll post some pictures of it tonight, because man, I'm proud of myself! I did end up finding all the studs, and placed a nail in every single one of them. My pictures won't be going anywhere, the hooks will fail before the rail does. My room looks absolutely amazing now, and I can't believe the difference they made.

Quote Originally Posted by KCPumpkinStalker View Post

I'll post some pictures of it tonight... My room looks absolutely amazing now, and I can't believe the difference they made.
    If it's not too much of an imposition,
    And you're not adverse to a little composition,

Please update your user-id album with some pic's,
    You see, photos to look at really scratch our collective itch!

Just thought I would see if I could get a job writing Hallmark cards?!?!?

If we ever had to lay off again, you'd be the first to go with versus like that!

Didn't know I had an album, I'll post a bunch tonight hopefully, if I'm not too tired. I have to tear off a section of texture. I had a guy texture a room and I had almost got all the old wall paper off when he convinced me I didn't need to tear it off if he was going to skim coat a stucco texture on it. Not knowing any better, I let him coat over the wall paper and now it's bubbling off the wall (I'm guessing because the wall paper sucked the moisture out of the drywall mud.) Ah, the things we have to learn the hard way.

Ah, well....so much for the second career...I feel like that guy in the Adam Sandler movie....

All the time I spent on here, I had only recently realized there was an album section in the user id page and played around with it loading some pictures. Looking forward to seeing the pic's.