+ Reply to Thread

Default floor tile problem

I am trying to tile over a hardwood floor (wife's idea) but the tile cement is not sticking to the floor. I'm guessing I have to sand off the polyurathene to get the cement to stick. Wants it done by the weekend!

Unhappy Re: floor tile problem

Anyone have any ideas? I need help on this one.

Default Re: floor tile problem

Thinset won't work in this application, you'll have to use a mastic (glue ) for tile. It should also be noted that if there's any movement in the wood, the tile will crack and pop loose as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Don't even try laying ceramic tile over a hardwood floor without first & properly .....installing an appropriate underlayment.

Also.....have you checked whether the deflection will even allow for ceramic tile?

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

Thanks guys. I saw that website posted earlier and that part is fine. great ideas and will give them a try will report in a few days!

Quote Originally Posted by jboller56 View Post
    I am trying to tile over a hardwood floor (wife's idea) but the tile cement is not sticking to the floor. I'm guessing I have to sand off the polyurathene to get the cement to stick. Wants it done by the weekend!
    My guess is your hardwood floor is 3/4" over a 3/4" subfloor which should make any deflection in the floor a non issue as long as the HW floor is nailed down solid with no buckeling in it.. If it were me I'd go over the poly'd HW floor with a 60 grit sandpaper in either a belt sander or any electric sander you have just to scuff it up real good and get any loose stuff off then I'd thinset down some 1/4" hardiebacker screwed into the floor below but that may be a drag of a job screwing into an oak floor in which case I'd buy Ditra and just thinset that down then get to tiling. MAtter of fact...forget screwing down a CBU...just buy a roll or how ever much you need of Ditra. Way easier and even better....justa bit more in materials but a whole lot less in labor...
    You can pick up rolls of Ditra in the tile dept of HD.
    Last edited by andybuildz; 01-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו