+ Reply to Thread

Default Moving breaker box

I would like to move my breaker box to finish my basement, is this hard and how would i learn the best way to do this?

Default Re: Moving breaker box

You will probably have to , but you should anyway, hire an electrician. This would require pulling the meter form a sealed box which requires an electrician in most jurisdictions, may require replacing the drop from the meter to the panel if a longer run is needed, not to mention making the required adjustments to the existing wiring as required.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Just like J L said hire a license electrican to do this job its a pretty big job. Also remember to that if your panel is going to be more than six feet away from your meter base according to the nec code you must install a disconnect. Hopes this helps and good luck.

Just like the guys said, get an electrician. A mistake on your plumbing and you have water in your basement, a mistake on your electrical and you burn your house down. Know your limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by dc16 View Post
    Just like J L said hire a license electrican to do this job its a pretty big job. Also remember to that if your panel is going to be more than six feet away from your meter base according to the nec code you must install a disconnect. Hopes this helps and good luck.
    Can you cite a code reference for the disconnect requirement ?
    I REALLY need that info . Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    John, I think he means the wire coming out of the meter can. It is considered unfused wire. So it needs to be short as possible to reach the main service panel.
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I was wondering about that myself. Not that I question that distance, but I have in the past two years ran SE cable a greater distance without a disconnect, without a problem.

My bad I reckon I got some local codes mixed in with the nec codes. Sorry about all of the mix up. The nec states it must be readly accessable and nearest to the point as Marcus said. The person who is asking this question needs to check with there local electrical inspector and see what all they require about moving a panel.I have worked in different areas and it always comes back to the authority having juserdication that makes calls like that. That goes back to your local power company or the electrical inspector that takes care of the area in which you are working or live in. So sorry for the mix up.

By breaker box, if you mean a sub-panel, you are talking about a lot of wiring changes but you can just turn off the breaker to the panel and need not involve the power company. If you mean the service panel where the meter is, then you'll need an electrical inspection from both the utility and the AHJ. I'm an electrician with the local power company, and I'd be hesitant to do it myself because of all the work involved and the potential for problems with your homeowner's insurance if you did something wrong and had a fire.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!