+ Reply to Thread

Default Is circa: 1680 considered old enough <G> ?

I JUST finished this renovation/restoration project. Took me about four years full time. Its a long story but to shorten it up a bit...I'm 56 and I've been doing renovations and restorations the past 32+- years full time in my own business here on Long Island in NY.
    The past two houses have been huge projects. Through loans and savings and my wife selling RE we've been able to sustain these redos full time.
    Buy the worst falling apart house we could find in the very best hoods and redo them while we live in them and then sell and start all over again.

For the most part I do 95% of the work with a helper or two and sub the other 5% +_ out such as electrical and most of the plumbing.

You can read about this project in my website at HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM
    Its the Goose Hill Rd Project in Cold Spring Harbor here on Long Island NY.
    My favorite saying (so far) is, " A finished house, is a listed house".
    Wonder how much longer my wife's gonna put up with that...lol.
    Attached are a few before and afters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new old house pic 006.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A pool picture.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JULY 1,07 GOOSE HILL RD.011.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JULY 1,07 GOOSE HILL RD.041.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	130  
    Last edited by andybuildz; 09-06-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Is circa: 1680 considered old enough <G> ?

Very nice transformation!!!!
    Great renovation strategy, too. My wife gave up on that after fixing up the first house. She didn't want to move out and go back to "camping" for a year so we have been here for 15 years now.

I've always enjoyed what I call "turn and burns", houses that I can pick up at a good price, renovate, and resell. I don't have the fortitude to live in it while the work is being done, that's just a bit above the call of duty! LOL

You've done a very nice job on that, I particularly like the shots of the pool and back of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Very nice transformation!!!!
    Great renovation strategy, too. My wife gave up on that after fixing up the first house. She didn't want to move out and go back to "camping" for a year so we have been here for 15 years now.

Thanks and...well...I think renovation work is probably in the top three withinin the reasons for divorces...lol.
    The trick I found is to find nice corner of the house you can clean up and live in while you work on the rest...if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I've always enjoyed what I call "turn and burns", houses that I can pick up at a good price, renovate, and resell. I don't have the fortitude to live in it while the work is being done, that's just a bit above the call of duty! LOL

You've done a very nice job on that, I particularly like the shots of the pool and back of the house.

Thanks..the thing about finding these kinds of homes in really good neighborhoods is finding major pink elephants ,,,in my case a red one...lol..NO ONE in an upscale hood like this is willing to take on a job like this and no one cares as much as I do about old homes to make it worth their while and willing to go through what it takes.
    The fact that it wasn't allowed to be ripped down is what clinched it for me. Even for someone to get prices from contractors to redo it is almost futile. Theres more unknowns in a house like this than your normal cookie cutter house.Its too hard to actually figure out what a job like this would be to do...to give an accurate estimate anyway. It'd have to be T&M and no buyer is going to go by that before purchasing a home. And a time frame to finish the job? Good luck trying to figure that out...lol.
    I love these challenges and will keep doing them as long as i can still swing a hammer.
    Be well
    andy