I JUST finished this renovation/restoration project. Took me about four years full time. Its a long story but to shorten it up a bit...I'm 56 and I've been doing renovations and restorations the past 32+- years full time in my own business here on Long Island in NY.
The past two houses have been huge projects. Through loans and savings and my wife selling RE we've been able to sustain these redos full time.
Buy the worst falling apart house we could find in the very best hoods and redo them while we live in them and then sell and start all over again.
For the most part I do 95% of the work with a helper or two and sub the other 5% +_ out such as electrical and most of the plumbing.
You can read about this project in my website at HTTP://WWW.CLIFFORDRENOVATIONS.COM
Its the Goose Hill Rd Project in Cold Spring Harbor here on Long Island NY.
My favorite saying (so far) is, " A finished house, is a listed house".
Wonder how much longer my wife's gonna put up with that...lol.
Attached are a few before and afters.