+ Reply to Thread

Default What's in the Soffit?

I would dearly love to make use of the 12" above my upper kitchen cabinets. What I don't know is whether the soffit between the cabinets and ceiling are cosmetic, or whether they contain wiring, ductwork, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to find this out before I rip out a bunch of drywall?

Thanks!

Default Re: What's in the Soffit?

Typically there isn't much behind that soffit....typically....but thats not to say there isn't anything in yours. I would cut a small hole in it in a couple of places and check things out. Typically the only thing you might find in there is power for a light over the sink or possibly some duct work if you have forced air. Good luck.
    Todd Fratzel

You may be able to poke some small viewing holes from the inside of the cabinet to take a look. If you have a bathroom above your kitchen, be sure to check the soffit directly under for plumbing. My in-laws recently found that their kitchen soffit actually housed some plumbing pipes from their upstairs bathroom. They were having new kitchen cabinets installed that were to go to the ceiling and successfully hid the plumbing with false backs on the top shelf of the new cabinet. Good luck!

If your kitchen was done in the 60's or 70's most times it is cosmetic. Anymore today a soffit is installed to run duct work through it, i.e. range hood or HVAC. But don't be suprized if you find electric or plumbing.

I had the same thing in my 1980's house. I knew the pipe from the range hood was in it so I took a chance and started ripping it out. Nothing but unfinished wallboard. I finished it to match the cabinets, boxed the range hood pipe and wound up with a bit more storage area.

I had the same thing in my 1950 house. I started with a stud finder, then knocked a fist sized hole in the soffit, big enough to put an inspection mirror and my hand in. Only thing I found was one wire I was easily able to relocate. We removed the soffit, drywalled over the studs and I now have an extra 7 cu. ft. of cabinet space.

If you have any recessed lights in the soffit and they are remodel type units, you can sometimes pull them out and get up in there and take a look. I have done that and utilized a digital camera by sticking my hand up in the hole and taken photos of the inside of the soffit so I can view it and see what might be up there. 9 times out of 10 it is just trash left over from when the home was built.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M. View Post
    If you have any recessed lights in the soffit and they are remodel type units, you can sometimes pull them out and get up in there and take a look. I have done that and utilized a digital camera by sticking my hand up in the hole and taken photos of the inside of the soffit so I can view it and see what might be up there. 9 times out of 10 it is just trash left over from when the home was built.
    I use my digital camera for much the same sort of stuff. have taken pictures behind hot water heaters of drywall damage caused from leaks.