+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Renovation

im planing to remodel a small bathroom circa 1950. Gray tile with a pink border. The tile was installed as "Mud tile" or mud. I'm not exactly sure what that means.
    The walls in the bathroom are not completely tiled the rest is plaster, not sheet rock.

My question is, should I strip everything down to the timbers? Or can I just remove the tiles and the "Mud" that held them?
    What area of the bathroom should i use sheet rock and cement board?

Any suggestions/recomendations would be helpful..

Default Re: Bathroom Renovation

ditto to the above comment with one exception. stripping the walls to the studs is definitely the best option mainly because the new sheetrock will probably not line up very well with the old plaster which is almost definitely of varying thicknesses. the only thing i would do differently is hire a plasterer to install new blueboard and plaster throughout the bathroom, except where there's cement board. it will make the bathroom look much more "finished" and hanging pictures and such or taking bumps and door knobs will quickly damage just a plain sheetrock wall.

jkirk,

thx for the info. Question, stripping to the timbers including the cieling? Also, do you suggest to insulate the ceiling?

Quote Originally Posted by maindave View Post
    im planing to remodel a small bathroom circa 1950. Gray tile with a pink border. The tile was installed as "Mud tile" or mud. I'm not exactly sure what that means.
    The walls in the bathroom are not completely tiled the rest is plaster, not sheet rock.

My question is, should I strip everything down to the timbers? Or can I just remove the tiles and the "Mud" that held them?
    What area of the bathroom should i use sheet rock and cement board?

Any suggestions/recomendations would be helpful..

What exactly are you tiling? Floor to ceiling? Shower stall? Shower/bath area?
    Any which way...the job will always look better if you totally gut the room of all tile and plaster. Doing it all isn't all that bad once you have to get going anyway and in the end I guarantee you, you'll be happy you did it.
    Any areas that aren't under any water ever like shower/tub areas you can use drywall. Moisture resistant boards are a hair more money but make for a better job. Personally I like using thinset rather then mastic/glue. Makes for a much better job....and be sure to back butter the tiles as well as troweling the thinset on the walls.
    In wet areas I like using A CBU like HArdiebacker but use 30# felt paper stapled to the studs b/4 you screw your Hardie to the walls .....and if you want the best of the best job....use Kerdi membrane on wet walls over Hardie or even over Blue board (water resistant sheetrock)....it does work over rock btw if applied properly.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו