+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement windows

I am about to replace my basement windows but have never seen them installed this way. The existing windows are mortared into the window opening. I was going to cold chisel the mortar out but am concerned with breaking the cinder block. Any suggestions how to remove the old window and install the new. There is nothing to attach the new window to.

Last edited by BentNail; 01-27-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Incolplete

Default Re: Basement windows

That is common for our area. You're correct, you need to be careful chiseling it out for replacement. It shouldn't be too hard, though. I was able to do one on our house and one on a neighbors without any issues.

While it may seem contrary to common sense you'll have better control with an air powered chisel than a hammer and cold chisel.

Thanks for the replies.

Last night a neighbor suggested a masonary blade in a circular saw to cut as deep as I can along the edge, then take the chisel. Lot of dust with that though. I think I'll try that to start and see how it goes.

Wink Re: Basement windows

Since you have "cinder block" the safest way to take out the old mortar is with a cold chisel and a 2 or 3lb. hammer. I would take the sash out first, cut the jamb in half in the middle and collapse it to the interior of the window. Then take out the remaining framework. The removal of the mortar will be a lot easier without the old framework. I would next build a "buck" frame (wooden frame around the opening)and toggle bolt it to the cinder block. Install your new window into the "buck frame" and caulk as necessary and paint. Voilla !! your done. good luck.

Calcats

Thanks, that was similar to what I planned once i figured out how to remove the old windows. I appreciate the help.

i agree with calcats. I did this last year but i glued the wood frame in and then screwed the window frame in. i made it a tight fit and it has worked out well. with the window out the mortar came out fairly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jboller56 View Post
    i agree with calcats. I did this last year but i glued the wood frame in and then screwed the window frame in. i made it a tight fit and it has worked out well. with the window out the mortar came out fairly easy.
    That's exactly what I did, glued in a treated wood frame, then installed the window. I did leave the beveled mortar on the outside to help shed water. Now for the other 3 once the snow melts.