+ Reply to Thread

Default Stuck Gas Pipe Fittings

Hi,

I am trying to re-locate my gas jet in the fireplace in our new house. It is installed now way too far forward, so the flames won't reach the wood unless it's way up towards the front of the fireplace. Then that causes the smoke to want to come into the house instead of up the smoke chamber.

The problem I am having is that I can't get the fittings apart that come out of the wall to the gas jet. I was able to remove the jet piece (the piece with the holes in it), but I can't get the elbows or fittings apart. I have sprayed some penetrating spray on them, and am waiting to see if that will help.

I have a couple of pipe wrenches, but the space is limited in there to work, so it's hard to get leverage to get a good turn on them.

I have 2 90 degree elbows and about a 2" piece of gas pipe I need to remove. I want the gas jet to get in the center of the fireplace, so it will light the wood where it should be.

Any ideas on how to get these stuck pipes apart would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Stuck Gas Pipe Fittings

You're probably on the right track with the penetrating oil - I use WD40 a good spray and about a minute of tapping the joint with a hammer and then another good spray and leave it set as long as you can - overnight is better.

It's also possible that the pipe dope they used to seal the threads was the wrong kind and it has dried and bonded the pipes together. If that's the case then you'll probably need to heat/freeze or hacksaw them apart.

Default Re: Stuck Gas Pipe Fittings

This is an easy fix. Just take a small hacksaw and cut the bell part of the fitting 90 degree to the threads just enough to open the end of the fitting. it should twist right off.