+ Reply to Thread

Default help! alternative to replacing wood floor?

i hope someone out there has some ideas for me! i moved into my current home last year...it was built around 1930 and has original narrow plank wood floors. what i didn't know when i moved in was that the wood floors are basically on their last leg...some splintering in spots and nails popping up. i was told my a flooring professional that they have basically been sanded too many times and could never be done again. i also got a quote for replacing all the floors and, as a single mom, i just cannot afford it, at least not in the near future. i have area rugs where possible but i'm worried about the safety of the floors, esp. with little feet and a dog.

does anyone have any suggestions? absolutely ANYTHING would help. thanks to all!

Default Re: help! alternative to replacing wood floor?

Options are:
    1 - Pull and replace
    2 - Pull and install vinyl
    3 - Cover with carpet

As hard as it may be to save up to do the job right, you're better off and it will be cheaper in the long run.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks for your response. i would like to save up to do it right...i'm just looking for something that might help in the interim. would using wood filler on the bad parts and painting the floor be an option? anyone?

thanks again!

I have filled and painted wood flooring while saving up for an alternative. It's a good 'make-do' project and you can do so many neat paint applications. Be sure to paste wax when you are done.
    I've also used Alloc over the top at home, and the cheap-o version in a non-profit art gallery. If your budget allows, they look great and wear really well.