+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof sweating

Default Re: Roof sweating

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    blown in insulation is known for causing sweating especially in older homes. the big thing is to get more ventilation in the attic space and making sure you have adequate insulation in the ceiling space to help reduce cold surfaces on the ceiling which allows condensation to form
    blown in insulation is known for causing sweating why is this? i just had new insulation blown into my attic

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    blown in insulation is known for causing sweating especially in older homes. the big thing is to get more ventilation in the attic space and making sure you have adequate insulation in the ceiling space to help reduce cold surfaces on the ceiling which allows condensation to form
    blown in insulation is known for causing sweating! why is this? please explain. i just had new insulation blown into my attic!

The excessive amounts of ventilation in a drafty old house make it nearly impossibly to accumulate any humidity in a house during the winter. Once you tighten up a house, it becomes easier to raise the indoor humidity levels. Windows or other uninsulated places will then be more prone to sweating. In the case of the original post, however, the cellulose blown into the eaves may have blocked what had been minimally adequate ventilation provided by gaps between the soffit boards.