+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Painting Over Mortar on Floor

I have an idea...

I am looking for a very low-cost way to get a unique and creative floor in my bedroom. I have removed the gross carpet and am trying to decide what I can do to the subfloor to achieve my goal. The obvious option is to just paint it (I have a nice, big rug that will cover most of the room). Or...

Here's my idea: What if I put a thin layer of mortar over the entire floor and then prime/paint/poly it? I could work in small sections, do a thin layer of mortar, run a small wire brush trough it to create some texture and then move on to the next section. When the mortar is dry, I could prime and paint it with exterior floor paint and then coat it with a good polyurethane.

Am I crazy? Do you think this will work?

Default Re: Painting Over Mortar on Floor

Might help if we knew what your sub-floor is, wood, plywood, MDF, OSB, etc.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The subfloor is Potlatch brand particle board underlayment.

Personally I think this would be a bad idea. The rough mortar would tear up your socks and feet in short order - painted or not. Beyond that, you're going to have a tough time getting the mortar to stick and withstand the weight of furniture and traffic.

If you're working on a budget, then you might consider paint, which will be the cheapest material, look, and feel. Next would be peel and stick tile, still cheap, not a bad look or feel. Next would be sheet flooring, better protection, look, and feel. Better would be a laminate such as Pergo. I'm not a fan of Pergo, but there are several brands that are similar that are not too bad, a real wood laminate would be better than manmade products.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!