+ Reply to Thread

Default Forced Air heating in a Raised Ranch

Hello,
    I am trying to figure out how to heat the finished rooms in my raised ranch lowerlevel. There is duct work in the ceiling with little levers. Thank you!

Default Re: Forced Air heating in a Raised Ranch

Perhaps you could provide more details of your issue?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you. Being a raised ranch there are 2Bedrooms and living room on the lower lever. The ceilings weren't finished and I can see all of the heat runs. There is duct work pointing into each room but no heat comes out. There is a little lever that opens up the ducts but no heat comes out. That area does not have a thermostat.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Thank you!!!

Commonly with a forced air heating system there should be two large rectangular ducts .... called trunks .... that run from the furnace .... usually the width of the home. One of these trunks would be the air return back to the furnace

The other trunk will be the supply ( hot air during heating and cold air for A/C ) with round ducts attached for supplying the air to each room ... typically 5 or 6 inch round.

The little lever would be attached to a round flat metal piece is is usually called a damper. The intended purpose for this damper is for balancing the amount of air coming out of each duct. However ... many folks use these to close off air flow to areas that are felt not needing heat or A/C.

In your case if you have moved these levers so they are parallel with the duct ..... which should normally open the damper ..... and no air flow is coming out then there maybe another damper further upstream .... which sometimes happens when someone wrongfully taps into another duct run.

Each duct should run directly to the main trunk.

It may also be possible those ducts may not be connected.

There may also be a main zone damper for the lower level rooms that's closed off.

Just some thoughts.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by deb44477 View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to figure out how to heat the finished rooms in my raised ranch lowerlevel. There is duct work in the ceiling with little levers. Thank you!
    If you can get to all the supply runs then I would recommend a zone system. This would give you a thermostat upstairs (use the existing) and a new thermostat down. That way you can accurately control the heating/air cond.