+ Reply to Thread

Default Toilet Wax Ring Properly Installed?

Greetings all.

A little background, about six months ago I discovered that the toilet in my kids' bathroom was rocking. Turned out the bolt had broken loose from the flange. So, I disconnected the toilet, fixed the flange and put on a new wax ring. Problem is, I was changing the toilet myself and after dropping it on to the bolts the first time, I noticed I missed. So, I took it back up again, fixed the new wax ring as best I could (it was not a perfect circle anymore) and then got it down to the bolts. Everything worked well (no noticeable leaks), so I finished up the project by caulking around the base of the toilet.

Now, six months have gone by and I have two questions. (1) Even though I have no leaks and no smell of sewer gas, should I worry about the wax ring not being perfectly placed on the bowl/flange? I did not notice any leakage under the bowl or on the first floor under the bathroom in question.

(2) I noticed that the toilet is not as powerful when flushing anymore. My six year old is constantly clogging it and she is not doing anything out of the ordinary (i.e., putting too much tissue in it or flushing items other than waste). Would this have anything to do with the wax ring or should I think about upgrading the toilet (it is a bit older)?

Any guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Toilet Wax Ring Properly Installed?

With no leak and no odor, it's likely that the wax ring is just fine. If you're concerned about it, pull the toilet and replace it again.

While the toilet is out, take it outside, turn it upside down and back flush it with a garden hose. It's possible that one of the kids dropped a toy, stick, or toothbrush into the toilet and it's become lodged in the drain neck. Turning it upside down and back flushing it will dislodge and debris in the neck. It is doubtful that the wax ring has anything to do with the problem because it would have been an immediate issue upon reinstallation. And for enough of the ring to be in the drain to cause a clog, the toilet would be leaking like a sieve around the base.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

***....tough call, me thinks.

I guess would suggest that you remove the caulk from around the base. I never caulk around the entire base....no matter what. (Leave the backside of the base uncaulked at the least)

This because a complete ring of caulk will/could very likely..... 1- prevent sewer/septic gases from entering the room even if the ring isn't sealed down properly........and 2- will prevent water from a ring-leak evidencing itself.......until it leaks enough to eventually show elsewhere. (ceiling below, etc.) If the toilet is over a crawl space......the flooring under the toilet could be in pretty bad shape before you are aware of a problem..... cause most folks don't check out their crawls all that often.

The only way a wax ring can cause flushing problems if it is distorted so it is squeezed over the drain partially blocking it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I have to agree with Alex , i often come across small toys lodged in a toilet thats in a kids bathroom , If your going to lift it and as you say its and old toilet you might as well replace it with a new one .

Thanks all for your insight. I've been thinking to upgrade the toilet for some time now, so may decide to do so now.

I have not seen any leakage down around the down drain or in the crawl space (I can actually see the down drain for the toilet since I have a utility room on the first floor that is not fully walled up that is next to the down drains for that bathroom). So, I guess I'm alright in that category (unless you all see the situation differently).

Problem is, when you have a new toilet in your house (I bought a brand new Kohler for my master bedroom bathroom last year, that one where the advertise it by dumping a bucket of golf balls down it and it shows no sign of clogging), anything older just seems to not be working correctly!

If you've got golf balls going down your toilet, maybe your house was built a little too close to the fairway.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Golf balls??

The real test is an ear of corn.