+ Reply to Thread

Question sewer smell in basement only

I have a sewer smell coming from just a section of pipe in my basement. It's not pvc piping. The pipe leads up to the second floor bathroom. I've tried baking soda with vinegar and bleach. I noticed the bleach smell directly after pouring it down the drains in the second floor bathroom. The shower doesn't get used so I ran the water for a while, but that didn't work. I'm definately confused as to what I can do next before calling a plumber. Could it be that gas is getting out from where the pipes join? Would patching these help (and what would I use)?

thank you for your help

Default Re: sewer smell in basement only

It sounds like you need a section of pipe replaced ,If its cast piping more likely that there is lead jointing and you would be better of calling a plumber. so many people take these jobs on and it ends up costing more to repair the damage

Any chance that you are being misled as to where the odor is actually originating?

Are you sure the odor isn't coming from a basement floor drain that's gone dry? (water in trap evaporated from non-use)

A lead joint gone bad is defintely a possibility as is a seam in a cast pipe that has split open from "old age". Have seen this numerous times. You might want to look /feel along the top of any and all horizontal runs of pipe also because if the seam is turned up, a crack there will go unnoticed, but it's odor won't.

I wish I did have a floor drain, then that would be a better possibility. I have a strong feeling that I will have to call in a plumber. Thank you for your help.