+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sink shutoffs

Unhappy sink shutoffs

I have two bathroom sinks that use cartridge type faucets. Both will drip if left in the Hot side of the faucet. I have tried to turn off the water to replace. the turnoffs will turn but not turn off the water. Do i need to turn off the entire house supply?

Default Re: sink shutoffs

If you cannot find a shutoff on the water lines prior to the bathroom sinks, then yes you will have to turn off the water to the entire house.

It's only a little surprising all 4 of yours are bad. I have found the angle stops are a 50-50 chance of working right. If they do actually shut the water off they would probably leak around the stem when you open them back up again.

If you have the room, why not install real 1/4 turn valves prior to the angle stops when you replace them. That way you can isolate the sinks for future work.

Default Re: sink shutoffs

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    If you have the room, why not install real 1/4 turn valves prior to the angle stops when you replace them. That way you can isolate the sinks for future work.
    Those are called ball valves, and I was going to recommend the same thing. If the water main has to be turned off to make the sink repair, then this is the perfect opportunity to replace the existing angle stops as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!