+ Reply to Thread

Red face In need of electrical guidance...

I am updating bathroom light fixtures. The new fixture is larger so I had to offset from the original hole. Is it important to have the wires inside that little metal box in the wall? Can you tell I really am new to this?

Default Re: In need of electrical guidance...

Quote Originally Posted by clmills View Post
    I am updating bathroom light fixtures. The new fixture is larger so I had to offset from the original hole. Is it important to have the wires inside that little metal box in the wall? Can you tell I really am new to this?
    Yes, by code you are not allowed to make connections outside of a box.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you for the information. That helps me dramatically. I will make the necessary adjustments.

If the light fixture is a typical "bath bar" with a metal base that mounts to the wall and has a metal canopy that covers the base, you may be able to install a typical wire clamp onto the base. Run the cable into that clamp so all connections are fully enclosed in the fixture. There can be no connections or individual wires outside of a listed junction box or fixture.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.