+ Reply to Thread

Default Sudden cascading water noise and water in the sump pump vicinity

Hello,

This is my first post, I apologize if this question has already been asked but I didn't see a thread about this.

I was in my basement just now and heard what sounded like water cascading near where the sump pump is. Almost like somebody had just flushed a toilet (although noone did) and some water was rushing down through some pipes, except in this case it sounded like the water was rushing out of pipes. So I went to look in the corner where the sump pump is and there was water splashed all around (which has already happened, see below). Not a ton, it's not like there was an inch of water or anything, but it looked like someone had just thrown like a half-gallon of water in that corner, which doesn't seem normal.

So to be accurate, we have owned the house for only about a month (it's from 1959, we bought it from the original owners who have kept it in excellent shape). The basement is very dry and clean overall. But I have noticed some water in the sump pump area before and I've been keeping an eye on it - sort of. The pipe coming from the sump pump enters the wall to exit the house at about 6' in height. Where it enters the wall is not sealed very well and it looks like that's where the water is coming from, I've noticed it before: it looks humid and water is very slowly dripping from there. My uneducated guess is that it's not normal. What I'm wondering about is where it could be coming from, what can be done about it, and is it related at all to that water cascading noise, or is that noise normal for a sump pump?

Thanks in advance for any help! I would attach pictures but the interface keeps saying they're not valid image files...
    Olivier

Default Re: Sudden cascading water noise and water in the sump pump vicinity

Take a bucket or two of water and dump it into your sump pit so that the pump turns on and empties the pit. Watch to see where the water is leaking from.

It sounds like there is no lift check valve at the bottom of the pipe. so when the pump starts and pumps water then stops when the float say the pitt is empty. the water flow back into the pitt that is in the pipe. a lift check valve will fit this

or the lift check / back flow is broken or clogged