+ Reply to Thread

Default water from flood in adjacent bathroom got under floating laminate floor

We have a spare downstairs guest room with laminate flooring over concrete. The flooring was in the house when we bought it so I can't be sure but looking at an old off cut that was in the garden it looks like it is made of fine particle board or mdf.

Unfortunately my youngest daughter left the faucet running in the adjacent guest bathroom and we experienced a small flood. I got all the water up in the bathroom and hallway easily as we have tile flooring, but didn't notice until later when I stepped on the floating laminate floor in the guest room that water had gotten under the floor. There was no water on top of the floor. I'm really not concerned if the floor warps and has to be replaced, what my concern is the risk of mold if the floor doesn't warp and I don't replace it. Also what is the risk of mold on the framing timbers in the wall between the bathroom and the guest bedroom, an interior wall?

Thanks in advance of any advice

Kind regards

Nigel

Default Re: water from flood in adjacent bathroom got under floating laminate floor

The people that write the Standards for water damage restoration say that if water migrates to areas that are dirty or sit in areas (like under your floating floor) unprocessed (dried out properly) that microorganisms can become a problem: bacteria and mold. I would recommend you have a professional indoor environmentalist or environmental consultant inspect the areas around which the leak took place, including the area under the floor. Depending on the situation you may want them to look for mold and endotoxins. Endotoxins are produced of bacteria that dry out and release the toxins in their cell walls as the cell walls break down. I've written on these at www.SolutionsIEC.com if you'd like to read up on the indoor environment of a water damage. There too you can link to several websites for remediators and independent inspectors as you feel you need them. I wish you all of the best.
    Jason Yost, CIEC, CMRS, WRT
    Council-certified Indoor Environmental Consultant
    Council-certified Microbial Remediation Supervisor
    Water-damage Restoration Technician

Default Re: water from flood in adjacent bathroom got under floating laminate floor

Thanks for the advice and the link. I shall thoroughly read through the site later today.

The floor seemed to dry up pretty quickly, but we have decided we are going to replace the flooring with tile that matches the rest of downstairs. Our only problem is finding the match. We have a local supplier working on it.

Regards

Nigel