+ Reply to Thread

Default Exhaust fan delayed start

When I switch on my bath ceiling fan it takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to start operating. Pull it out, clean it and oil?

Default Re: Exhaust fan delayed start

Give that a try . Use a very light " machine oil " , like the old standard , " 3 in one " .

Yup! Definitely worth cleaning, lubricating, and reinstalling. While the fan and motor are out, clean the housing and duct as best as possible to reduce restriction to airflow.

As you're cleaning and lubricating the motor, pay special attention to how much play there is in the shaft, not only side to side, but back and forth (end to end ). You can purchase shims to shim the shaft in one direction or the other to limit play which will dampen vibrational noise (usually indicated by a surging sound ). Also, a slow wind up of the fan can indicate that it needs shimming in one direction or the other.

When you disassemble the motor for cleaning and lubrication, pay special attention to how you take it apart so that all shims, spacers, and any other parts are put back in their original location. If you find you need shims, you can do two things. First would be to find an electric motor repair facility, they will have shims. Second would be to go to a hobby shop specializing in radio controlled vehicles and purchase shims for an E-Maxx differential, they are the perfect size for most small fans.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the help. The cleaning and oiling did the trick!

cleaning and oiling did the trick. thanks for the advice.

Glad we were able to steer you in the right direction.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Glad it worked out for you.

This is one of those things many people don't think of being a maintenace item.
    By doing this to your fan periodically will extend it's life for a long time.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush