+ Reply to Thread

Default sheetrock nail pops

i have sheetrock that was installed 40 years ago. the problem i have is two-fold: one ,the nails(not screws) are popping out and two, and most importantly , the sheetrock was installed horizontly and has bulged causing the seam to show. without replacing the wallboard how can this be fixed?

Default Re: sheetrock nail pops

Sheet rock is normally installed horizontally. It is easier to mud a horizontal joint at waist level rather than a vertical top to bottom.

If the joint is bulged water might be present, or was present in the past.

I'm no expert mind you...

with sheetrock this old the nail pops could be caused by several different factors. Nails that missed the stud are the most common of pops. what happens is that every time there is a vibration in the wall from a door slamming or any other cause the nail vibrates different from the sheet rock causing the mud to bust loose from the mud around it. of course being 40 years old you would probally have seen these a long time ago. as you know most nail have a smooth head so over time the mud may come loose for the simple fact of that it might never have bonded real well to the nail in the first place.
    but the most likely would be that the temp and humidity has not been held at a fairly constant over the years and the house may have set vacent for a period of time which will also let the humidity go up and down. and this could be the cause of both problems. I know this doesn't give you a solution but it may address the cause. and other then as you say removal the only other solution that I can see would be hanging a layer over the existing

Nail pops can be cured with a light tap with a hammer to reset the nail, then install a screw along side the nail so that it binds and captures the nail. The two big reasons for pops is expansion and contraction of the materials or jarring vibration such as a slamming door.

Bulged seams are generally due to settling or movement of the structure. About the only thing you can do about a bulged seam is to peel it out and retape it. If the drywall itself is bulged, then the only cure is replacement of the affected areas.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES(A. SPRUCE, HAVANAGRANITE,MORECOFFEE). THE HOUSE WAS NOT VACATED, NO DISERNABLE WATER INFILTRATION,BUT MAYBE RECENT BATHROOM REMODELS CAUSED VIBRATIONS. HANGING ROCK OVER EXISTING PRESENTS PROBLEMS AT MOLDINGS AND TRIM(windows and doors)..(not to mention cost). I HAVE HEARD THAT SHRINKAGE IN THE WOOD STUDS CAN CAUSE NAILS TO POP. QUESTION FOR A.SPRUCE..."DOES PEEL IT OUT,MEAN REMOVE BULGE WITH RAZOR KNIFE DOWN TO GYPSUM, THEN USING TAPE AND SPACKLE, FILL IN AREA HOPING TO GET BACK TO A LEVEL PLANE? MY PLAN WAS TO RE-ATTACH WITH SCREWS,(HOPING TO DRAW THE ROCK BACK IN), PATCH "POPS", REMOVE AREA AT BULGE AND TAPE AND SPACKLE,BUT WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS A GOOD ONE. AGAIN THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by john keeley View Post
    THANKS FOR ALL REPLIES(A. SPRUCE, HAVANAGRANITE,MORECOFFEE). THE HOUSE WAS NOT VACATED, NO DISERNABLE WATER INFILTRATION,BUT MAYBE RECENT BATHROOM REMODELS CAUSED VIBRATIONS. HANGING ROCK OVER EXISTING PRESENTS PROBLEMS AT MOLDINGS AND TRIM(windows and doors)..(not to mention cost). I HAVE HEARD THAT SHRINKAGE IN THE WOOD STUDS CAN CAUSE NAILS TO POP. QUESTION FOR A.SPRUCE..."DOES PEEL IT OUT,MEAN REMOVE BULGE WITH RAZOR KNIFE DOWN TO GYPSUM, THEN USING TAPE AND SPACKLE, FILL IN AREA HOPING TO GET BACK TO A LEVEL PLANE? MY PLAN WAS TO RE-ATTACH WITH SCREWS,(HOPING TO DRAW THE ROCK BACK IN), PATCH "POPS", REMOVE AREA AT BULGE AND TAPE AND SPACKLE,BUT WASN'T SURE IF IT WAS A GOOD ONE. AGAIN THANKS
    You're welcome.

Shrinkage will cause the nail pops as well. While I didn't specifically state shrinkage, that's partly what I was alluding to with expansion and contraction. The same overall effect occurs.

It sounded like you were having a problem with the seams puckering. If this is the case, you can cut and remove the loose tape, then retape the seam. This DOES NOT WORK for the wallboard itself. If the wallboard is what has bulged, then you might be able to draw it back in a little with new/more fasteners, but after 40 years, the wallboard has become stiff and brittle and it's not going to take kindly to point load pressure trying to flatten it back out. One thing that may be helpful is when installing new fasteners, place two fasteners about 2" apart and drive them both down slowly and evenly at the same time. This will disperse the stress over a larger area and the fasteners will be less likely to pull through the face of the drywall. Just how big and bad are the bulges and are they in a specific spot or are the walls covered with them?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

In my experience, nail or screw pops are almost always caused by expansion and contraction of wood framing members. this is assuming that the fasteners were installed correctly, to begin with.The worst nail/screw pops I've seen are on new houses that became extremely wet during framing, and were not allowed to dry out before drywall installation. Drywalling with improper heat, especially, portable,(and unvented), kerosene or propane heaters.They dump tons of moisture into a house, and cause alot of shrinkage, once the house dries out completely. The wood framing member actually shrinks away from the shank of the screw/nail, which causes the nail/screw head to migrate closer to the surface of the drywall and "pop" the mud thats on top of it. unless you like to fix nail pops over and over again, ( I've already done it enough) , pull out or remove the offending fastener, before you repair the pop, otherwise you'll be back in a year. Bulging and ridged drywall seams can also be caused by excessive moisture in framing and improper heat during drywall installation.

thanks to all....i think i have solved the problem by simply re-attaching the rock with screws (than driving in or pulling out thye nails)... that combined with a flat wall paint works out perfectly....again thanks

Unhappy Re: sheetrock nail pops

We had a new roof installed on our 40 year old split last fall. We already had cracks all over the 20 year old addition every place the drywall was seamed. Now it seems that there are cracks in the whole house plus almost every room has nail or screw heads showing now. I knew the house would do some settling with the roof because it is a bit heavier than the old one, but this is ridiculous. If I am reading this right, I have to retape all the joints in the house after putting in screws. I also have to put in additional supports in the addition attic because the shingles were cracked horizontally.
    The insurance appraiser said to wait for the house to settle, fix the damage, sell it and never look back. He also said to never buy another modular home.
    Do I really need to do all this work? As I look around I think that a lot of what I am seeing was there when we bought the house 13 years ago and that the old owner just covered it up with caulk and paint. I don't want to do this to someone else but we are retired and on a fixed budget and limited energy.

Hey maybe I could use the old trick we used in military housing and fill the holes with toothpaste.
    Wildflower

Rather than sit out the storm, learn to dance in the rain!
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
    We had a new roof installed on our 40 year old split last fall. We already had cracks all over the 20 year old addition every place the drywall was seamed. Now it seems that there are cracks in the whole house plus almost every room has nail or screw heads showing now. I knew the house would do some settling with the roof because it is a bit heavier than the old one, but this is ridiculous. If I am reading this right, I have to retape all the joints in the house after putting in screws. I also have to put in additional supports in the addition attic because the shingles were cracked horizontally.
    The insurance appraiser said to wait for the house to settle, fix the damage, sell it and never look back. He also said to never buy another modular home.
    Do I really need to do all this work? As I look around I think that a lot of what I am seeing was there when we bought the house 13 years ago and that the old owner just covered it up with caulk and paint. I don't want to do this to someone else but we are retired and on a fixed budget and limited energy.

Hey maybe I could use the old trick we used in military housing and fill the holes with toothpaste.
    You just reminded me of a "classic" topic last summer or so by someone who advocated installing drywall with caulk.
    BTW watch out for lightning