+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default How to convert old garage into a real garage?

Hi Folks,
    I have a garage and shed that were both built many years ago out of redwood. The only vertical supports for both buildings are at the doors, which are framed with redwood studs. There are rafters which are attached to the redwood walls, but again, no vertical supports. I really don't know how these buildings are still standing! I want to start with the garage and after I shore up the rafters, I want to put in a cement floor (it's gravel on sand now), then frame the walls with 2x4's. I am a rank amateur and I'm not really sure if I'm on the right path. Aside from sagging a bit, the roof and rafters appear to be in good shape and I don't think I will need to replace any of it.
    Can anyone give me some pointers or perhaps recommend a website or book that might be helpful?
    Thanks much,
    Anne
    (zookeeper)

Default Re: How to convert old garage into a real garage?

Anne,

It would help if you could post some photos of the garage and shed & post the length, width and height dimensions of the garage.

There are a number of other issues concerning working on such "appurtenant" buildings on your property that you should be aware of:

--is your property in a rural area with few or no neighbors where the town has few or no codes controlling work or construction of such buildings; or do you live in a thickly settled area where the town would insist on a building permit; there are often different specifications in such cases as to whether the building is attached to the ground (foundation) or "portable" (no foundation); you can check with your city hall building dept. or check the town codes at your local library to find out what you are allowed to do in such circumstances.

If the present structure is more the size of a large garden shed, it may be best to tear it down & start over with a poured concrete foundation; if you have a large structure that is intended for car storage, etc., & you want to try & save the building, it may be possible to jack up the structure in stages and install vertical 2 X 4 or 2 X 6 studs to support the rafters & attach to the walls if there is not a lot of sagging or settling, and pour a concrete foundation underneath.

If you intend to store a car in the garage, it is always best to connect/extend the connection between the road & garage with an asphalt or concrete connector (driveway), rather than depend on a dirt driveway that would create numerous problems.

Depending on the present size of the structure, this may involve hiring a contractor in your area that specializes in such work & has special jacking equipment to do such work---this type of project is usually beyond the capacity of a DIYr & should be left to a contractor.

Please post back with further info & photos.
    Last edited by dodsworth; 10-14-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Unless the structures are built from logs, it is impossible for them not to have vertical framing members. If the structures are stable, then you can proceed with installing your floor. If they're sagging/leaning, then they need to be shored up before the foundation or floor can be dealt with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Unless the structures are built from logs, it is impossible for them not to have vertical framing members.
    That's generally true. Would love to see some pics.