+ Reply to Thread

Question noisy hardwood floors

My 1925 craftsman bungalow has single layer tongue and groove hard wood floors that are extremely loud (no carpet)and squeeky. When the lights in the basement are on you can actually see rays of light shining up through the floors in some places. Not to mention that whatever gets spilled on the firts floor ends up in the basement.
    The only solution I see is to cover the entire first floor with plywood and carpet over, but what kind? cdx or osb? I would also glue and screw the plywood down, what type of adhesive would you recomend? If a trowel on adhesive what size notch? Also what type of screws, deck or drywall? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Default Re: noisy hardwood floors

You have several options. You have to decide whether you want to keep the original floors and just silence them or if you want to put a new surface down. If you'd just like to keep the existing floors but want to make them stop squeaking, you could use finishing screws to screw them to the floor joists. You'd have to putty up the holes and then you have to mix stain with the filler to make the holes disappear. It would work though. Or... if you'd like to use screws with bigger heads, use deck screws and you'll be OK.

Before you do that, get a Forstner bit, a plug cutter, and a drill press. Drill the hole in the floor about 3/8" with the Forstner, then use a small twist drill and drill through the floor and into the joist. Install the screw and then put the plug in the hole. Glue it and then use a sharp chisel and cut off the head on the next day when the glue's set up.

Or, if you want to cover up the floor, just get some T&G underlayment and lay that down. Use screws though and screw through the old floor and into the joists. Maybe it'll cut down on the squeaks. It's cheap, functional and works pretty well. Ten you can lay down some carpet or whatever you want to do.

Good Luck.

Wink Re: noisy hardwood floors

With the problem you have of liquids dripping through to the basement, I would say it is time to re-do the floor. I would use OSB with construction adhesive and screws. Then, you could carpet or go to a pre-finished new floor.

Calcats

Default Re: noisy hardwood floors

Quote Originally Posted by ma2804 View Post
    You have several options. You have to decide whether you want to keep the original floors and just silence them or if you want to put a new surface down. If you'd just like to keep the existing floors but want to make them stop squeaking, you could use finishing screws to screw them to the floor joists. You'd have to putty up the holes and then you have to mix stain with the filler to make the holes disappear. It would work though. Or... if you'd like to use screws with bigger heads, use deck screws and you'll be OK.

Before you do that, get a Forstner bit, a plug cutter, and a drill press. Drill the hole in the floor about 3/8" with the Forstner, then use a small twist drill and drill through the floor and into the joist. Install the screw and then put the plug in the hole. Glue it and then use a sharp chisel and cut off the head on the next day when the glue's set up.

Or, if you want to cover up the floor, just get some T&G underlayment and lay that down. Use screws though and screw through the old floor and into the joists. Maybe it'll cut down on the squeaks. It's cheap, functional and works pretty well. Ten you can lay down some carpet or whatever you want to do.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for your advise. Sorry it took so long to reply, I have several projects going now that keep me quite busy. Another question, does the plywood have to be tongue and groove since I'm using adhesive and screws? and do they make 1/2" T&G or would I have to mill the edges myself? Thanks again