+ Reply to Thread

Default what color do i choose?

Hi-
    I have to paint my front steel door,i was thinking a battleship grey but i noticed that a lot of front doors are much darker than the trim and exterior colors- the exterior is brown/beige with hints of peach in it and it is the vinyl cedar type shingles, the decking is currently a pale green- which needs to be painted again so i can change the color now-but if i keep it
    what colors would match? i would consider changing the decking, it needs a fresh coat.
    any ideas for me?
    Lisa

Default Re: what color do i choose?

OK, this might start a riot, but here we go. I have seen in print and on video the comment that a front door should stand out. I have seen a number of houses of varying styles and ages with a red front door. They all looked good. I painted my new steel front door copper after I installed it. After all, this is Arizona, the Copper State. My wife chickened out after about three days so it's white now. Blah! Probably you might need to try more than one color to see what works for you. The copper looked fine to me, but was too much for my spouse. And she's the one who said paint the exterior trim pumpkin many years ago. Gee. I have no idea if the capability exists or not, but could you find a paint store that could load a picture of the front of your house into a PC and change the door color?

Default Re: what color do i choose?

Hi,
    I am in the process of painting my house now. I chose Dried Thyme for the body and wanted a red door. I went to Sherwin Williams and for 5.00 you can get a quart sized paint sample. I have a steel door and painted the flat parts with the sample to see if I liked it. When done, the sample peeled off. I chose a Sun Dried Tomato color. Love it! You might try that. Cheaper alternative to buying paint you don't care for.