+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New invention?

Default New invention?

Has anyone tried these? http://www.spring-bolt.com

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: New invention?

Looks interesting. Wonder how well they really work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That's why I asked.
    jack

Makes ya wanna get back in the game to find out, doesn't it?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

"Spring-Bolt (patent pending) replaces traditional handrail-bolts."

Key words: fasteners, tension coil spring, clamping pressure, steel pin

So, how do these fasteners work? To find out, I perused Spring-Bolt's website (www.spring-bolt.com), carefully watched their instructional videos, researched the pending patent (www.uspto.gov), and I spoke to the inventor (Roger Rock of Rock Lock Fastening Systems, Inc). Voila! They work something like this: Essentially, the mechanical energy required to provide clamping pressure is accomplished by reverse-threading two opposing tension coil springs, and the system's lateral strength is maintained by a concentrically placed tempered stainless steel pin. In other words, after the post or handrail receiving holes have been drilled, and the left and right handed springs have been screwed (anchored) into their respective holes, a metal pin (which helps to guide the springs) is inserted into one of the springs, the opposing spring (which is screwed inside of the other handrail) is then slid over the other end of the pin. After the ends of the two springs make contact, they are twisted together. Twisting, or reverse-threading, the springs causes a shorting of the combined initial spring length. After several more twist, the wooden handrail ends make contact, thereby fixing the system's operational length. A few more twist cause the springs to elongate, but tensile strength (resistance to elongation) tightly pull together the handrails, and thus provide the required clamping pressure. I know, reading the description was a bit stressful, and by now you are somewhat strained. But read it again, and then re-watch the videos.
    Last edited by SigmundFraudOrg; 10-16-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: amendment
    Hidden Content // Editor-in-chief

Bruce we can all read, the question was has anyone tried them.
    Jack

the reply reminds me of a certain someone
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Since 2007, approximately one-hundred-seven other TOH readers have apparently viewed this thread, and likely everyone in the larger audience was not a certified carpenter. Hence, for the benefit of new viewers, the reply-in-question provides an immediate, comprehensive and convenient product description, and for others, it might support conceptualization and learning. Moreover, I encourage senior discussion members and journeymen craftsmen to obtain a Spring-Bolt, evaluate it, and post their expert opinion. Jack and others are still waiting. Bruce
    Last edited by SigmundFraudOrg; 10-17-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: amendment
    Hidden Content // Editor-in-chief

I work for a company called CP Stairmasters in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, which supplies and promotes Spring Bolt fasteners. We have used the product in commercial applications. I also have several stair installers / renovators who use it on a regular basis.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have about use of the product.

This is a great product that I use. My company builds stairs in South Florida Boca, Palm Beach, Jupiter Island , high end customers who don't want to see nail holes and plugs. You still want to use glue or epoxy with the Spring Bolt.

M & M Stairs
    West Palm Beach, Fl