+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with Floor Choice

We are excitedly planning our kitchen addition and have most of our big decisions made...Going with pale gray reclaimed wood cabinetry on perimeter and black on island (Timeless Kitchen Designs), soapstone counters on perimeter (Bucks County Soapstone) and pewter counter on the island (Metallo Arts, who will also be doing a custom range hood and Delaubrac Range in black) and white, harlequin pattern tile backsplash (Ann Sacks).

So you get the visual...but the floors have got us hung up!! With a small child, a dog, a cat and a husband who cooks messy...I want a durable floor. I am considering concrete with radiant heat.

Any opinions on concrete or other suggestions??
    Thanks

Default Re: Help with Floor Choice

We have an old house with floors in bad shape and a lot of traffic. We bought the Traffic Master floating vinyl floor from Home Depot for our kitchen. Comes in lots of patterns (stone/wood). Goes down with only scissors or tin snips. We laid it ourselves and it was super easy and has held up really well. The floor comes in 1' x 3' strips and only sticks to itself (hence the float).

Install the radiant, pour the floor, lay the oversized 16x16 or 18x18 ceramic tile (Dal-tile has a lot of choices), heck do an accent design around the island. Fill with a nice middle of the road grout color (too light gets to dirty, too dark picks up dust). Now, toes nice and warm, wallet nice and light, you my friend, are ready to start cooking.

If you are going to really cook in the kitchen; I would not recommend hard surfaces like tile and stone. They really are hard on your back and knees.

Wood is my choice because of the elegant finish it can offer.

everyone seemed to ignore that you're thinking about concrete.

I for one would not go with tile because of the grout. The person above is right...get the color of dirt otherwise...

I personally would love a concrete floor...although I don't know what the requirements are. I love concrete counters as well.

My second choice would be wood.

Third, might be vinyl as crazy as that may sound.

Actually... I love a glazed brick as well. Something that could be sealed with a satin to medium shine...and easily cleaned.

concrete with radiant sounds wonderful in your kitchen. you could stamp, stain, brush... do anything to that floor.
    Debby in Oklahoma