+ Reply to Thread

Threaded View

Default Demand for Reclaimed "Oak" Victorian Staircase

My wife's old home place (which we rent out as 4 apartments) has a very massive and very ornate ****en Oak staircase, which I sometimes think that I would like to sell. If we did sell the staircase, we would simply quit renting out the 2 upstairs apartments. The house is alomost "downtown", and before too many years, the house will probably be torn down and we will sell the land to someone else (probably will then be used used as commercial property). I would like to know if there is much demand for the staircase and where could I get some idea of what it should be worth.

The staircase is very massive with (4) landings between the bottom floor and the upstairs. Still in excellent condition, has vever been painted. There are many spindles on the outside of the stairs and raised pannels wainscoting on the inside of the steps.

Also has tall fluted support post, closet under stairs, quilt bin with a hinged lide on the first landing, row of short spindels hanging from the ceiling all across the front, etc.

I feel that a staircase of this caliber could possiblely be one that someone may want to use as the focal point when building a new house. As in the gentleman's reply (3rd reply I receeived), this is certainly a piece of history, not just something generic that could be purchased at the store.

Just for the records, the house was build by a Civil War officer, a very prominent leader of our community and he established a local distillery which, through many years and new owners, is now one of the most famous brands of Kentucky bourbon know world wide.

Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	2133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	2134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1139.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	2135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1142.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	2136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	2137  

Last edited by bidsbybob; 02-11-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: To show pictures of the stairway.