+ Reply to Thread

Question I'm looking for "Sound Proof" windows...too noisy at my place!

Hello everyone...I just joined...and I need help.
    I live near a busy street (second house in from the front of the neighborhood) and the traffic seems to be getting worse...maybe I'm just getting old.
    Can someone recommend a brand name window that will provide me with "soundproofing" from the busy street I live near and the other noises that go along with that. Price is not an object...my sleep is???
    Thanks for your time.

Wink Re: I'm looking for "Sound Proof" windows...too noisy at my place!

If you can find some of the window contractors in Boston, Mass., you might find what you want. They had a huge soundproofing program about ten years ago to lessen the noise residentially from the jets at Logan airport. Sorry I can't be more specific, good luck.

Default Re: I'm looking for "Sound Proof" windows...too noisy at my place!

use of laminated glass is your answer. look at bi-glass web site to see if an installer is close to you. laminated as one pc of an insulated glass unit is even better. glass is only one part of the problem. make sure weatherstripping is used around the window to seal up the air and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    if you want soundproof glass, chances are your going to have to goto a commercial glass company and have a glazer install it. ive installed alot of windows and never seen a soundproof window for a residential setting.

your only other option is to eliminate the window all together
    Thanks for getting back to me. I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by calcats View Post
    If you can find some of the window contractors in Boston, Mass., you might find what you want. They had a huge soundproofing program about ten years ago to lessen the noise residentially from the jets at Logan airport. Sorry I can't be more specific, good luck.
    Thanks, I happen to be a pilot and I'm up in boston alot. i will look into your suggestion. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by bi-glass View Post
    use of laminated glass is your answer. look at bi-glass web site to see if an installer is close to you. laminated as one pc of an insulated glass unit is even better. glass is only one part of the problem. make sure weatherstripping is used around the window to seal up the air and sound.
    Thanks for the tip.

Wink Re: I'm looking for "Sound Proof" windows...too noisy at my place!

I thought of a question you might ask the window companies in boston. Ask what the sound transmission is for the different glass packages they offer. One glass option is called "heat mirror", I don't remember the statistics off hand but it is pretty quiet. It is two pieces of glass (can be laminated to help) with a clear plastic film between the two pieces of insulated glass. The plastic doesn't touch the other pieces of glass. You also want your overall insulated glass unit to be as close to 1" as possible. This gives you the best insulation of sound and everything else they measure. The sound transmission rating on a window is called the STC rating.

Calcats

look at bi-glass web site to see if an installer is close to you.