+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Closet Header

Hybrid View

Default Closet Header

I have an existing closet and want to install a bifold door. The opening goes to the ceiling so a header would be required to install a standard length door. Because the current opening is finished I do not want to install jack studs under the header. Can I build the header and screw it into the current side studs?

Default Re: Closet Header

Since this isn't a structural member, you could probably get away with using some kind of galvanized hanger bracket to hold the header. You can find them at your local home center, in the lumber aisle. Hang the header with that and your drywall will cover it up. You might want to case the opening with wood rather than just drywall to dress it up but either way will work.

Good Luck.

Because there is no need for load bearing a simple box frame nailed in place is all that is needed.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks so much for the great responses. Would you recommend I remove the dry wall in the area of the new box frame and anchor direct to the existing studs? Thanks again for your feedback.
    SDL

Yes, you nail the box frame to the exesting studs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Removal of the existing drywall isn't necessary, and yes, you want to attach it to as much of the structural framing as possible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!