+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a 220v line for a washer dryer

I'm having a 220 line installed for a washer and electric dryer. Both the washer and dryer require 220v/20amps. The dryer allows the washer to be daisy chained to it so it only requires one outlet. My electrician is going to install a single 220v/20a line with 12 gauge wire, but will that be enough of if both units are running?

Default Re: Adding a 220v line for a washer dryer

I have not run into a setup like this, and I haven't seen the actual requirements, but if they each require a 20 amp circuit then one 220/20amp 12 gage circuit would not be sufficient.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If it's a stacked unit, that sounds fine. If I had to ask whether my electrician knew what he was doing I'd be fairly sure he didn't.

And, I cannot honestly give you an answer to your question without seeing the manufacturer's panel of your appliance. And that should be the answer of anyone who answers this question.
    If I only knew what I was doing!

Quote Originally Posted by KKelly View Post
    If it's a stacked unit, that sounds fine. If I had to ask whether my electrician knew what he was doing I'd be fairly sure he didn't.

And, I cannot honestly give you an answer to your question without seeing the manufacturer's panel of your appliance. And that should be the answer of anyone who answers this question.
    I agree the manufacturers nameplate will tell all. Plus factoring in voltage drop with the length of the cable run as well.