+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stove Fan

Default Stove Fan

I am looking into using a thermoelectric Stove Fan on my wood burning stove and am wondering if the 150 CFM output is worth the $119 price compared to running my 2 ceiling fans on low, 1 in reverse, to distribute the air. The stove is on the outer wall in the center of 2 large rooms (dining and living). The 2 ceiling fans obviously are using some amount of electricity, but they are already paid for and are already in use. Would the Stove Fan be justified in this situation?

Default Re: Stove Fan

If the 2 ceiling fans do the job, how long can you run the fans for $119?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I didn't say the 2 fans do the job. I don't know if they are doing the job. I asked how they would compare to the stove fan. I don't know how long they would run for the price of the fan since I don't know how much juice they use. That's why I asked.

Sorry, when you said "wondering if the 150 CFM output is worth the $119 price compared to running my 2 ceiling fans on low, 1 in reverse, to distribute the air." I assumed you were already doing that and it was distributing the heat.

Typical ceiling fan spec- 7 to 103 watts, 150CFM. If running on low speed 7 watts for one hour would be 7 watt hours. 2 fans would be 14 watt hours or .007 and .014 kilowatt hour. What is your electric rate per kilowatt hour? If it were say $0.11 /kilowatt hour .014 X .11 = $.00154 per hour or the 2 fans. and moving 300 CFM

The thermoelectric Stove Fan would be pushing the air horizontally but not likely a great distance and the warm air would be rising also. The ceiling fans would be moving the warm air at the ceiling and pushing it down.
    Jack

As far as distributing the heat, I believe using a stove fan will help get the heat off the stove and into the living space better than without it.

Our stove has a built in electric powered blower that circulates air through the steel jacket that is around the stove. There is a huge difference in the ability of the stove to heat the house when it is on versus when it is off. I have the fan connected to a thermostat controlled plug that turns the fan on at a certain temp to move the heat off the stove. Basically it is on all the time the stove is fired up which has been pretty much non-stop since November. I would not bother to fire up the stove without having the fan on. The savings realized by using the stove far, far outweigh the ~$5 per month that the fan costs to operate. Even with the stove fan on, I still use a ceiling fan all the time in the kitchen where there is a cathedral ceiling.

You may find you still need to keep the ceiling fan on even with the stove fan so you may not see the payback of the $119 you hope for. As a crude test, try putting a small plug in fan near the stove and turn off the ceiling fan to see if you get the heating effect you hope for.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Typical ceiling fan spec- 7 to 103 watts, 150CFM. If running on low speed 7 watts for one hour would be 7 watt hours. 2 fans would be 14 watt hours or .007 and .014 kilowatt hour. What is your electric rate per kilowatt hour? If it were say $0.11 /kilowatt hour .014 X .11 = $.00154 per hour or the 2 fans. and moving 300 CFM
    So assuming my rate is somewhere around $.11 and the ceiling fans are moving 300cfm, that seems to come to $1.10 a month and is double the volume of air moved. I don't see the horizontal movement being any better then my convection system, so it seems best to pay $1.10 a month for my ceiling fans and not spend an extra $119 on the fan.

Next question is do you have any idea about the effectiveness/efficiency of using my central AC fan to distribute this air throughout the house? I'm guessing that costs more than my ceiling fans and although I have tried it, I can't say it actually did anything.

Maybe I just need to move my bed into the living room...

If you could extend your air return for the furnace close to the ceiling you would probably get better results than if the return is on the floor. That way you would blowing the hot air near the ceiling through the system rather than the cold air near the floor. By the way I didn't think it got cold enough in Louisiana to need a wood burner.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 01-22-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Not sure what you mean by moving a return vent. But mine is in the ceiling halfway down my hallway. With the stove hitting 800 degrees, the air is already cold at that point in the house. Leaving the living room is like walking into a refridgerator.

It gets in the 20s here and since I like my inside temps in the high 70s and have a raised house with no floor insulation, I need all the help I can get. Last month we had a 50 year record snowfall of several inches in one day! Global warming and all...

I don't think the fan on your central unit will do much good since the return vent is so far away from the stove. Also, if your ductwork is not insulated you will lose heat as it travels through it.

I think you will have to try a couple things to see what works best for the layout of your house.

Before shelling out $119, the first thing I would try is a small fan near the stove blowing air across the stove and out into the room, preferably directed toward the doorway that leaves the room where the stove is. See the Sears link below and see what effect that has. Then try a small fan mounted in the top corner of the doorway to see if that helps push the warm air from the stove room. See the smarthome link to see an example.

http://www.smarthome.com/3008/Entr-e...n-RR100/p.aspx

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003j

I was considering the corner fan, but didn't know if it really would do anything.